Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Help With Incorrect eCommerce Data

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hey community,

I have an issue that I am just looking for verification on. I don't think there is any way to get a definitive answer, but I want to be able to go back to my client and say that I asked and at least received input. So, let's start: starting around December of this year out client's eCommerce data has been inflated. Around this time a couple things happened. First, we updated the Universal Analytics tag within GTM to allow for subdomain tracking as our client launched international pages. Second, their dev team started importing all sales data from Magento (but were only supposed to be including ones Analytics couldn't capture, like offline sales). We have, with about 99.9% certainty identified this import as the culprit, but I have been charged with making sure that our subdomain tracking change in no way could have affected eCommerce data. Does anyone have any light to shed on this for me? Thank you very much!

Andrew

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew L
May 2016

Re: Help With Incorrect eCommerce Data

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Andrew,

The only thing the subdomain tracking would do is to properly attribute the traffic/revenue to the proper sources. So instead of seeing revenue and visits from sub.domain.com, the original referrer (google, email, etc.) would now get credit. The caveat is that the transaction takes place on the main domain and that hasn't changed in any way.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew L
May 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Andrew,

The only thing the subdomain tracking would do is to properly attribute the traffic/revenue to the proper sources. So instead of seeing revenue and visits from sub.domain.com, the original referrer (google, email, etc.) would now get credit. The caveat is that the transaction takes place on the main domain and that hasn't changed in any way.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thanks a bunch Theo. That was what I figured, so thanks for confirming!