Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Help To Understand Goal Conversion Report

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

Suppose I have created a goal in Google analytics whenever a user goes to my thank you page.

Now I have heard GA only counts 1 Goals per session.Suppose if a user go to my website choose a product then reach to my than u page ,a goal  is triggered.

But what happens if he again choose another product in the same session and buy it ,goes to than you page again.

Now does GA count 2 Goals completion or 1 goal?

Now if GA counts 1 goal now is this justified?User has completed 2 purchases so two times thankyou page is trigged.It should be 2 goals.

Now if GA shows 1 goal then where should I get the accurate number in terms of Goals in GA?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Each Google Analytics goal conversion will count a maximum of one time per user per session.There is no setting in Google Analytics to prevent duplicate eCommerce transactions.

import this custom report from the Google Analytics Solutions Gallery in order to see all transaction IDs with more than one count.

Thank you

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

So goals only count once per session per user?If i am not an ecommerce site then actually number of goals will always under report than actual form submissions if one user submit the form more than once in a session.Am i right?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Goal - unique per session.

Example

Destination goal for page /thank-you.

User 1 bought productA and landed on /thank-you and as a result the above goal was triggered.

User 1 then decided to buy productB (say he'd forgotten about it) and again landed on /thank-you but this time the above goal was not triggered.

"If i am not an ecommerce site then actually number of goals will always under report than actual form submissions if one user submit the form more than once in a session." This is correct, and I'm assuming you track submissions as events. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Now thanks for the answer.

Now if i wish to track it with pageviews instead of events,Does the actual number reflect that?

Suppose a user comes and completed 2 thankyou page in the same session,Goal is 1 ,page views =2 unique pageview =1

Now in this case unique pageview will be more accurate or normal page view?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello there. Each goal is only counted once per session, this is just how the goals are set up. You can however look under behavior----events and see how many times the event occurs. It won't be in a pretty little box graphic like the goals view but all the information you need will be there. Also this only works if you are firing an event push every time the thank you page is loaded.

Another note if people are buying things on your site, that is an eCommerce site. If you set up eCommerce tracking (recommended enhanced eCommerce) than you can see much more information.