Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Help Me Understand What "Users" Are

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I am looking at Audience Overview data, there is a User summary showing 2.2 million users over the selected period of time. When I add up the data points for that same period of time, it comes to 3.1 million users. Why is there a disparity?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"When I add up the data points for that same period of time, it comes to 3.1 million users."

Can I know what the "data points" are--which report did you get them? Smiley Happy

In a nutshell, users = persons. If the data points you mentioned are referring to page views or sessions (website visit), then there might be a discrepancy, since one person can view multiple pages during one session. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vox G
July

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Vox,

If you are trying to add up users over a date range and compare to the total users for that range you should probably Never get the same number.

For example you have these user counts over a 2 day period:

Monday - 10 users

Tuesday - 10 users

If you look at Mon - Tuesday you see 15 users when you (mistakenly) expect 20.   The reason you have 15 is because a user can return to the site on multiple days and in this hypothetical example, 5 users from Monday come back on Tuesday and you have 5 new users on Tuesday so in the range you had a total of 15 users. 

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn