Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Having a persisting traffic source

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

As part of improving conversion rate, I need to track where our users come from, what they did on the site, and whether they have made a purchase. One use case is to look at all purchase events, where did the customers come from.

For the initial interactions on the site, we track the referral urls or UTM params if provided (this tracking is done on the client side). However, as a part of the flow, we ask users to verify email address and once they come back to our site, the source is the email vendor now. 

I have tried to get the original source using document.referrer on the browser initially, send it as a part of href query string in the verification email and once user comes back, use the original source to update the GA source. However, I cannot seem to find a way to update the source in GA. 

Is there a way to update the GA source/medium/etc on my end ?

If not, what would be the best solution to achieve this? We currently use the automated UTM params as recommended

Thanks,

Harry 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Having a persisting traffic source

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Harry,

Well this is a complicated topic and I'm afraid I don't know enough about your process to recommend a complete, best practice solution.  

That said, the complicated and probably best way would be to harvest the client id and pass through to the mail vendor and back, perhaps even with cross domain tracking depending on what the user does there.

The easy, cut to the chase way, (but perhaps not enough) is to just add the mail vendor to the referral exclusion list.  This will, in effect, change the mail vendor referrals to direct and direct does not change the original source of traffic.

Just go to Admin>>Property>> Tracking Info>> Referral Exclusion List

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn