Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Grouping Events by Event Label

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have Tag Manager implemented and I'm tracking, among other things, all clicks around the site. Each time a user clicks on a <a>, it fires a specified Event tag, which saves the <a> text as the Event Label.

Our new website will have a link with a variable number (count of members in our community), meaning each time the number changes, a click will create a new Event Label on my report and I don't want that. This is how I would want to see it:

9788 members in our community (312 events)

9789 members in our community (544 events)

9790 members in our community (101 events)

GROUPED INTO:

Number of members in our community (957 events)

Possible?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Grouping Events by Event Label

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Eric, how are things?

If I understand correctly, you want to know the number of members in your community when a new event is fired. Is that correct?

If that's the case, you should use a "dataLayer". You'll create a thing called dataLayer on your website code that will collect desired information, which can be accessible later by GTM. The idea is to store the number of members inside that dataLayer, where you can then use this to your Event information. This might help:

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6103657?hl=en

To group every event under "Number of members in our community", just name your event CATEGORY with that name.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Leandro. I'm good here. You?
Actually, I want to do the opposite: I don't care about the members number on my Analytics report. Let me expand on this:
My link click event is configured as such:
Category: link
Action: click
Label: {{Link Text}}
Right now, the link text reads "9788 members in our community". If 3 users click on it, the Event Label will be set to "9788 members in our community". Tomorrow, the number might have jumped to 9794, so if another 4 users click on it, the Event label will now get set to "9794 members in our community".
So, on my Analytics report, I will see 3 events on "9788 members in our community" and 4 events on "9794 members in our community", but they all happened on the same link and that's what I want to track. What I want to see is the total number of events for that specific link, no matter the number being shown. What I want to see on Analytics is something like "All members in our community" = 7. Basically, I want it to group and add the events considering the rest of the sentence ("members in our community"), without the variable number.

Keep in mind that the category is set for "link" (I have other categories around the site as well, like CTA and Form for other events), so I don't want to change the category tracking for this case only.

Cheers!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Eric C,

Have you considered renaming the event label so as to be agnostic about the number of members there are? You'd be able to still find the "total number of events for that specific link, notter the number being shown".

Just a thought. Smiley Happy
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey Eric,

In that case, as mentioned by Nicky, all you have to do is change your "Label" from "{{Link Text}}" to "All members in our community". By putting text directly into your label, you won't count the number of members, and every click will occur as "All members in our community" Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate the help.

The issue here is that I set up only one general tag for this, meaning wherever a user clicks (excluding CTAs and Forms), it fires the same (Link Clicked) tag, where the differentiator is the Label itself. If I give it a fixed text, any link clicked on the site would then have an Event Label of Number of Members.

Of course, on the Tag Manager side, I could patch it up by creating a Trigger that would fire only when clicked on that specific link. This way, I could specify a fixed text. But I really wanted to know if there was something on the Analytics side that would allow me to gather and add those events hits. Something like Content Grouping, but for a specific event dimension (Event Label), with the grouping parameter being a regex. It should then add the metrics for all of the grouped dimensions (Event Labels).

Cheers!

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Event grouping is made when something (category, action or label) have the same name. Without that, Analytics does not provide a way to "group" the events the way you want to do.

Without changing the names you use, the only thing you can do is access your Events report under "Labels" section and user the filter field to search for "members in our community". This will filter your data to sum only events with label = "members in our community", and you would have to total hits for this, besides the number of members.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Eric C,

OK, thanks for clarifying. It looks like you could potentially do this:

In your Top Events report, drill down to the Event Label (so here is where your "X members in our community" label shows up). Create an Advanced Filter to:

Include "Event Label" Matched RegExp ".* members in our community"

Apply that, and then in your Events report you should see the total number of the events where "X members in our community" were clicked, and in a way you've obfuscated the X.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks for reminding me of the filter.

Still, I want to see if someone else knows of another, more "automatic" way. I'll use the filter but will keep the thread open for a couple more days.

Thanks a bunch!!