Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google short urls vs. Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks, I am quite new to this community, this is actually my first question:

I was starting to use google short url/links to track links to marketing brochures sent via email from my sales team. Even though this is easy to use, I can not have a generic view over multiple links (I can only judge one short link but not compare multiple links). Another thing: I would like to use banners in our mail signatures and to track their success as well. To make sure the sales team does not need to change the signature every time I am changing the image (which I can do online with a generic image path), I can not have a Google short link for multiple banners as I can not change one short link after it has been generated.

Anyhow, I would like to move away from Google short links towards Google Analytics, to track all the links to my brochures as well as all the links to the continously changing email banners. What are your thoughts about this? Do you have a best practice for this in mind?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best, Matthias

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthias W
February

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Matthias.

Do you use utm_ tagged links? With UTM tagging you can have specific source and medium values e.g. email / brochure. Su these values will be accessible in Analytics reports. https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, this sounds very promising!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I analyzed the possibilties with this sort of UTM/link tracking. This will work perfectly when linking to pages of my website having the Google Analytics snippet integrated. But how can I track links to external sources? Lets say the banner in my emails links to a youtube clip, the UTM parameters can't help here. I am thinking about setting up a page on my website that I can link to using the utm parameters - and then forwarding to the youtube-clip. In that case, I can track incoming links. 

Does anyone see an easier way to achieve this? 

Thank you in advance!