Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics stats suddenly dropped in half compared to Wordpress stats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the past, my Google Analytics stats and my WordPress stats have been very similar every day. But for some reason at the beginning of this month, my Google Analytics stats dropped drastically, while my WordPress stats continued looking steady. For most of July, in fact, my Google stats have been roughly half of my WordPress stats, in terms of sessions, page views, and users. I've tried to see if there's a clear group being omitted from stats, but my percentage of views across browsers and technology is about the same, I continue to see referrals from the same websites (just fewer total), and my bounce rate remains similar to last month.  (This is not just a latency issue, as I've rechecked the numbers from the beginning of the month and they haven't increased.)

My Google analytics code is installed in my theme header, right above </head>. I used Google tag assistant to track my flow, and it tells me that everything is good, with one possible exception - when I open a new tab, even when I tell the tag assistant to follow across tabs, it does not recognize that a Google tag exists in the new tab until I refresh that tab. I'm not sure if this is how tag assistant is supposed to work, or if there is an issue with opening pages in new tabs. (Seems unlikely that this is the culprit, since my bounce rate would be affected...but I'm not sure.)

Other possibilities might be advertising related - I added some new ad tags about the same time I started seeing this issue. But if there's a conflict, it's not apparent to me.

My website is readytoyumble.com. If anyone has thoughts on how to test or fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google analytics stats suddenly dropped in half compared to Wordpress stats

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
I am seeing one issue in GTA.
In the GA Property Setting page and all View Settings pages, can you please check that the website url is entered
without the www.
Also have any GA Filters been applied to the View(s) at either the View or Account level?
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,
Thanks for the ideas. I checked the Property Setting page and View Settings pages, and they both have the website url entered without the www. Is that the correct setting?
I do have two filters set up, to exclude referral spam from two sites. I just tried verifying the filters to make sure they weren't unintentionally blocking extra traffic - but for both I get the message, "This filter would not have changed your data."

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Usually when setting up a property and if using filters, it is 'best practice' to leave the initial View without any filters applied.
That way there is always an unedited, raw copy of data available to compare against and use for reporting should it be needed.
I would create a new view and leave it without any filters applied and see how (or even if) the numbers differ.
Apart from referrals showing some but not a huge difference, is there much drop in say Direct traffic or Organic for instance?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn, I'll change the filters just in case they cause any issue.
There's a similar drop in Direct, Social, Referral, and Organic traffic - they all fall to about the same extent.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Apart from changing the filters, I would also create a new View, so that going forward you have one that you keep without any filters applied to it at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will do, thanks Smiley Happy Any other ideas about what could cause the sudden drop in traffic compared to my Wordpress analytics? Wordpress doesn't show many hits from referral spam, and I don't think those two filters caused a significant difference in statistics.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I dont know anything about wordpress analytics. Is that the one that uses WP's  jetpack, the stats provided by wordpress?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep, they're stats provided by Wordpress, I believe through the Jetpack plug in.