Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics script is not working on WordPress free version

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am using the free version of WordPress blog and it cannot display the HTML code for Google Analytics. I am pasting the scrip in a Text widget or directly to the end of a blog but the code is not working. In the widget field the following text appears:

"(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxxxx-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');"

Could you please tell me how to implement Google Analytics to the free version of WordPress as it does not support any of the widgets?

Thank you,

Stefan

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Balki T
June

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
If by free version you are meaning on wordpress.com, they do not support the use of google analytics unless you have a paid wordpress.com business plan

https://en.support.wordpress.com/google-analytics/

Alternatively, if you have your own hosting and install free wordpress available from wordpress.org, then you will be able to use analytics.

The best option is to use one of the freely available plugin from wordpress.org for adding the tracking code as wordpress expects scripts to load in a particular manner, so placing the tracking code into a widget is not likely to work as expected.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the answer. I was hoping that somehow I will manage to use Google Analytics on the free version of WordPress.com...

If it's not working, maybe I would think of using the paid version.