Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics not working

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google analytics is not working on my site.

My site is on genesis framework and I have pasted the code in the header scripts area in theme settings.

I am not able to verify it using the test run from the google analytics account and also by using google tag. It has stopped recording data since yesterday. Please help. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Roxana b

Does google tag assistant show any errors for analytics when you check your site?

Have you created and applied any filters to the analytics View?

Can you please provide a link to the website.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn V,

Thanks for you response. Now I am able to see some data in Google Analytics but something is still not working right.

My website is http://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/

I was checking it with google tag. When I click on a internal link to my website it loads a new page (as I had set the links to open in a new tab), but google tag does not continue to track those newly opened internal links. Normally website visitors come to a particular page and after reading that and/or if they find another interesting link to follow on the same site they may click that and it opens in a new tab (several sites have it that way) but I would assume that google analytics should continue to follow.

But as per google tag, the new tab opens up fresh again with the google tag. So I do not get a complete report of all my visits to the various internal links. I think previously it used to aggregate all the hits in one report (all tabs opened from the same website). Google tag also told me that one of the pages took a long time to send a pageview

http://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/baked-zucchini-kuku/

However, when I click on the links under featured posts in the side bar I get the clicks in one report as these are all set to open in the same page. But in the tag report and analytics reports some pages did not have tags/No page hits and then there was a red floodlight tag and a red "remarketing" tag (perhaps an Ad??)

I just want to be sure that all the hits for the pages opened in the new tabs are also counted.

I have two views in my analytics (a basic unfiltered view) and another view with all the spam filters applied.

I have foodie pro on genesis framework. And I have cloudflare as the CDN. Please let me know if you would like me to provide any other info.

Thanks so much.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roxana B
June

Re: Google analytics not working

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

When i check it, it seems cloudflare may be causing some issues with it.

If you edit the tracking code script's opening tag to the following:

<script data-cfasync="false" type="text/javascript">

then make sure to clear any cache if you have any cache plugins running,

then it can be rechecked.

The pages do not open in a new tab for me each time i click an internal or navigation link.

I'm on a desktop, using Chrome.

The usual practice these days to allow site visitors to decide

if they want to open new pages in new tabs every time they click a link.
Not everyone browses a site in the same manner or is on the same device, so leaving it up to the user to decide how they want their browsing to behave, gives an overall better experience for site visitors.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much. That was helpful. I added the code yesterday. And checked yesterday and again today and it seems to be working well. Today I just had one error (remarketing tag) in the tag report for this page http://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/creamy-mustard-greens-spinach-soup/, which I believe relates to the google Ads.

So when my internal links open up in a new page, does google analytics continue to count those page views? I am not able to verify that on my end as they open up in new tabs.

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If there is tracking code installed on the page then it should show a pageview. 
You can browse your site and look at the GA real time report > content and see that the pageviews are registering.

if you are on a mobile device though, the hits may not show in real time as mobiles send hits differently and batch them to conserve battery power. the hits will show later in the standard reports though as expected

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response.