Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics direct traffic spike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

What should I do to control direct traffic (not set) as reported in Google Analytic and they have heavy bounce rate.

Thanks
Neeraj

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google analytics direct traffic spike

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Neeraj,

You may be getting referral spam. Add a secondary dimension of hostname to see if it's from your site.

Adding an include filter for your own hostname is a great first line of defense.

Obviously you can ignore the sub in the screenshot example. A filter like this would exclude traffic that came from other sites/spammers.   Be sure to test this in a duplicate view first and promote it to your analysis views while maintaining an unfiltered view of your data as well.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Sorry.. getting an error when adding images.. must be a problem with the community.
Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Theo when you tried to add an image did it say something about html tag I get that error when I try and add an image.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Yes, that was it. Invalid html.
Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hmm it must be intermittent as I see some can attach images I use to be able but it quit recently with that same error. Hopefully GA is working on the issue.