Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Sees Three Completely Different pages as the Same Page???

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

In google analytics I have a message that google is detecting multiple home pages.

The message is " site. com is receiving hits from multiple pages that might serve the same content. Some examples are: " and it then gives a short list like the following.

1. site.com (home page)

2. site.com/page1.html (completely different from home page)

3. site.com/page2.html (completely different from home page & page1)

These pages really couldn't be more different. Each page contains hundreds and hundreds of words of unique writing/content for that specific page. How can google possibly be confused by this?

Thank You,

John

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

are you able to pls provide a link to the website and
for instance 2 and 3 what are the actual page urls

im assuming its not page1.html and page2.html 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello There and thank you for looking into this. I just posted a reply but it's not here, so I'm posting again. Sorry if it duplicates... not my fault either...

It's saying that these are "some examples" so I'd assume that there are even more pages confusing google.
www.12volt-travel.com
www.12volt-travel.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=5
www.12volt-travel.com/index.php?main_page=fit_my_truck

Thanks again,
John

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've replied probably 30 times at this point. My response keeps getting removed. I get a success message and even see an added reply in the reply counts. a second later it's gone. I can't keep playing this game. I don't know what the problem or who has a problem with my post, but this is getting old quick.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Not sure what the issue is, this one seems to have posted fine

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello There and thank you for looking into this. I just posted a reply but it's not here, so I'm posting again. Sorry if it duplicates... not my fault either...

It's saying that these are "some examples" so I'd assume that there are even more pages confusing google.

*intentionally omitted three urls for testing*

Thanks again,
John

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

/
/index.php?main_page=page&id=5
/index.php?main_page=fit_my_truck

Thanks again,
John

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

the site is at 12 volt - travel and is of the com variety

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John M
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Where are you seeing the message? Is it a notification at the upper right over the bell icon?
If so, diagnostic messages are sometimes just information that might be useful

as per the warning: "site. com is receiving hits from multiple pages that might serve the same content. Some examples are:"

emphasis on the word "might"

Where the system gets confused sometimes is the with the index.php page being differentiated with added parameters, it just sees the request URI (index.php) and the parameters and guesses that the same content may be on the same page but the url is just being written differently (which does often happen).

What I would do, is I would simply leave the notification for the moment, as the pages do have different content on them.. and I would then go over to the Webmaster Central Help Forum

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

that deal with SEO and site indexing etc, and ask if there is any issue with how the pages urls are being formed, or if you need to add anything else in to the head of your site to indicate a canonical url or something else.

If they say it is all ok.. then I would hit the Ignore option on the notification

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, it's in the bell messages at top right.

I did that before ever posting here. They said they aren't GA experts and that I need to post my question here.

I've also clicked ignore a year or so ago and just again a couple of days ago.

Well thank you for that.

Do you know how or where I can download an entire list of site backlinks including (anchor text, landing page and linking url) ?

Thank you so much for the help and advice.

John