Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Referral report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to extract a report from Google Analytics using API, i need daily page views of Destination URL from each source under referral. I am selecting Default Channel group as Referral and then selecting every source to fetch the total page views from each source, however the number I get using this manual process differs from the automatic numbers I get using API. However this happens only for mobile platform of my website, the desktop version gives me accurate numbers.

Can someone please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Referral report

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

How much does it differ by? A few percent is not a big deal, and something which I've sometimes observed when comparing API and the UI. If it's significant then check to see if you have different levels of sampling present.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Referral report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply, John.

It differs by a considerable percentage, cannot be ignored. I did not understand what you mean by check to see if you have different levels of sampling present, please explain. Also as I have mentioned, its quite strange that I am not seeing the same issue for my Desktop version (the issue is only for Mobile).

Google Referral report

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

How are you getting data from the API?

Sampling: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en 

The API query tool tells you if the data is sampled. The GA add-on for sheets reports both whether the data is sampled and the level to which it is. In the standard reports, under the date, you will see a message telling you whether the data is sampled and what percentage of the data has been used. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Referral report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

We were able to solve the issue. GA was set to Greater Precision option on the contrary, the query function used to extract data was considering Faster Precision. We are getting accurate numbers on adding the filter function of Greater Precision in the query. Just shared it as it may be useful to beginners like meSmiley Happy

Thank you so much for your help though, I went through the link shared by you too. Its very helpful.