Google Link Shortener, Google Analytics and Wordpress Stats show all completely different results
This is my first post, so I am sorry in case I do something wrong.
I have a little problem with all the tracking I am doing. I was running Facebook Ads, and I reached a good amount of people. The Facebook ad contained a short URL, shortened with Google of course. Now I am tracking website visits with Wordpress stats and GA. Since I had a problem with referral traffic, I decided to add some IP filters for those fake visitors.
Now, after comparing 3 data sources (WP Stats, GA & Google Link Shortener), I've noticed a huge difference in the numbers. Do you have any advice how it happened?
Re: Google Link Shortener, Google Analytics and Wordpress Stats show all completely different result
GA tracks visits to web pages on your site
- It does not track all visits to web pages on your site
Tracking can be affected by the following factors (amongst others)
- tracking not correctly installed or not installed on all pages can prevent correct tracking
- filters can prevent some data from appearing in Views
- it wont track visitor who do not have js, cookies or images enabled in their browsers
- sometimes someone will navigate between pages quickly not giving the tracking script time to fire
- if someone has opted out of GA tracking or has other script blockers running, the visit may not be tracked
- If someone presses teh browser back button or the browser stop button, the pageview may not be tracked.
- for the most part, ga does not track bot activity eg googlebot for google search
Google URL Shortener tracks clicks on links, these are not the same as visits to your web pages
eg i have opted out of GA tracking and click your shortened url 3 times
You will see 3 clicks in Google URL shortener - and 0 visits in GA
or you have a View filter blocking an IP range - my IP falls into that range
again, you will see 3 clicks in Google URL Shortner - 0 visits in GA
I dont know anything about WP Stats so not sure how it works in relation to tracking visitors
Quite often comparing two tracking methods can be link comparing apples and oranges
Are you able to link to the plugin you are referring?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here