Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics view with no filters shows fewer real-time visitors than a view with filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just finished the Google Analytics courses, and the company I work for wants me to be in charge of supervising our clients' reports, since no one's doing it at the time.

We have had the accounts for a while, and some views already have some filters and goals applied. I wanted to start from zero, configuring views the way I learned in the courses, so I created completely new views. The problem is this:

• I created a view and added a goal. There was already one view in this account, with 4 exclusion filters and some goals. The goal I added for my view is just like one in the other view.

• I went to the real time reports of both views and my view was showing fewer visitors than the other one.

How is this possible? Shouldn't it be the other way since my view doesn't even have any filters?

Also, I copied the view that already existed, then went to the real time report of this copy and it was showing zero active users. So, yeah, I'm confused.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics view with no filters shows fewer real-time visitors than a view with filters

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Do you have the two views up side by side or are you switching from one to the other? Reason I ask is other than the number of active users what other sections are showing differently. I.E in overview are the top refferals, top active pages, top locations, and top keywords the same or are they different as well.

Re: Google Analytics view with no filters shows fewer real-time visitors than a view with filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had them opened side by side, in two different tabs. I also noticed that on the view that was already created, Facebook was shown as a referral at some point, while on my view it wasn't showing.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I agree with you your new view should be showing more or at least the same as your origional view, if you have no filters applied in admin or manually, and you have no segmentation going on then you should see equal or greater real time active users. In your admin section verify the settings of both views and see if you notice any differences such as is one filetering out bots and the other is not, do they both have the same website url etc. If all things are the same then you should not be seing the results you are.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just did that, the first view has an AdWords account linked to it, whereas my view does not. 

The other goals the first view has are not affecting since they have no interactions, there are no channel groupings, but the first view does have a couple active brand terms while mine has none.

Other than that, it's all the same.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I have four views on one of my UA accounts and bringing them up side by side my origional and my back up raw data neither of which have any filters, segments, custom channel groupings, or brand terms. They are completely unadulterated data from GA and they both show the same number of users, now one updates a little quicker that the other but they show the exact same data across every section. If this was two different UA accounts I would say you missed some pages but when talking views and all things being equal they should be showing the same data in live view. I am lost at this point.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The audience overview report is working fine, apparently. It shows the same data for the first view, the copy I made from that and mine. The only difference is the number of pages viewed: the first view and its copy are showing 1.165, while mine has 1.168. 

Also, the copy I made from the first view is still not showing data in the real time report.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
I would delete the copy you made that is not showing any real time data and recreate it maybe it was corrupted during creation.