Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics showing a significant drop in users and page views after updating version of theme

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics showing a significant drop in users and page views after updating version of theme in Wordpress: a steady 30 - 100+ views a day to 0 or 1 views per day every since the update on March 15th! Has anyone had the same problem and if so, any advice on what the issue could be and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Suzie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Analytics showing a significant drop in users and page views after updating version of theme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Have you checked that the tracking code is still installed?
Depending on how it was installed, a theme update may have possibly removed the tracking.

Best to check first though, otherwise you may be doubling up on the tracking which will then report inflated data
You can check with a tool such as Google Tag Assistant

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

How to use Tag Assistant

https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947095?hl=en&ref_topic=6000196

If the tracking is still installed.. 
Have any filters been applied to the reporting View within the couple of days prior to the data drop off?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your response and for providing links to these resources.

I will definitely try your suggestions.

There were no filters that were applied so it must have something to do with theme update somehow removing or changing the configuration of the analytics tracking code.

Again thanks for your help and I will let you know if the issue gets resolved.

Suzie

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nps :-)
If you find the tracking isn't there any longer, reinstall it, keeping in mind it may take 12-48hrs for the change to show in the reports.

eta.. if the tracking is still installed then pls post back if the Tag Assistant displays any errors etc. if you need further assistance

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Just following up - turns out that the tracking code had indeed been removed and this was due to the theme update in WordPress after all, due to the introduction of a different way of implementing the Google Analytics Tracking Code in the newer version of the theme. Everything is now back up and running as usual which I verified using Google Tag Assistant.

Thanks for your help!

Suzie

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back with an update, happy to hear it is now reinstalled and working for you again

Thanks

Bronwyn