Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics session help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Say i come to a site and within 2 minutes i close the browser or shut down my pc then after 5 minutes i again come to the same site.My question is does GA count it as different session or same session?

Another question how GA handles tabbed browsing?say if i open a different tab of the same webpage at a same time does GA consider each tab a new session?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Say i come to a site and within 2 minutes i close the browser or shut down my pc then after 5 minutes i again come to the same site.My question is does GA count it as different session or same session?

By default, the same session will continue if you use exactly the same browser and device.

Another question how GA handles tabbed browsing?say if i open a different tab of the same webpage at a same time does GA consider each tab a new session?

No, by default, the same session will continue.

Just to make it even a bit more confusing, you know… there’s also something called as a sessionControl parameter that you can just send to Google Analytics and tell them that the session is over, start a new one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Following Avinas Kaushik, Google Analytics uses the linearization method. That means tab browsing will share the same session. For information, you can read here http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/standard-metrics-revisited-time-on-page-and-time-on-site/