Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics is plummeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Over the last few months I have experienced a major decrease in traffic according to Google Analytics.  But somehow it doesn't add up - I consistently have 200+ people on Real Time throughout the day.  I am not seeing all of the traffic in my GA account.  
Can someone explain what is going on? Were there changes made to GA? 

Thanks, 
Mique

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics is plummeting

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Mique, the first things to check would be your date range that you are looking at, followed by the particular view you are looking at and then any filters that you may have applied to that view. Also look and see if you are doing any segmenation and if so revert back to All Users.

Re: Google Analytics is plummeting

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Google Analytics gives you the data, but if you want the cause you might have to do your research. Starting in the top right corner of analytics reporting, see if you have any notifications. If there are no warning or alerts, switch to Webmaster Tools, aka Search Console. https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

This will give you information on Google's crawler errors, sitemap issues, index status. It could be that your organic traffic is suffering while your direct traffic is what accounts for what you are seeing in Real Time Analytics. Also in Search Console, look at Search Analytics and see if the gap between impressions and clicks has changed. This might be why you are getting less traffic.

The other possible issue could be something simple, like new pages on the website are missing the Google Analytics tracking code, so that data is missing from your reports.