Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics in Tableau

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to GA although I know Tableau quite well.

I've pulled my GA data in Tableau using the stock GA data connector. I've made sure to select "All Data" as to ensure there is no sampling.  When I only pull date and sessions in Tableau the numbers match up when comparing them to GA directly.  But, when I begin pulling multiple dimensions and metrics in Tableau my numbers do not match those directly found in GA. 

My guess is that I'm confused about the row level aggregation on the data sets I'm creating when pulling GA data into Tableau.

If I'm creating a data set with Date, Event _action and Sessions what will the row level aggregation be?

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics in Tableau

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Benjamin,

We use Tableau a lot, that said, due to sampling we get our data via the API and have not tried the new connector in 9.2 that helps combat sampling. I do know that Tableau's position was that it provided un-sampled data for MOST queries. It might be possible that you are getting sampled data and really can't offer more than that.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Google Analytics in Tableau

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the reply.
Are you using Google Big Query to pull GA data?

We have GA data being fed daily into Google BQ, but are having issues/bugs with GA integration. Theres seems to be an established bug that needs the file to be flattened. Are you running into anything like that?

Thanks!