Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics and Weebly Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just joined a company that went through some major website changes. Added tracking information to new site (Weebly) but Google Analytics is still not working properly. I noticed in other forums that there have been issues with the coding and once certain lines are removed, it works properly. Can I get some guidance on this? The account is for specialglobe.com

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics and Weebly Issues

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Meg,

Can only point you to something you've probably already read:
https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201979698-Google-Analytics

That said, there are already many instances of GA on your site. You need to take a peek at that. Use Tag Assistant for Chrome and it will help you troubleshoot.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You said that there are many instances of GA on the site. I'm seeing very little traffic through GA yet Weebly is showing a larger number. Are you seeing something different?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

If you look at the source code, there are 3 or 4 different GA snippets.

Best,

Theo

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. Thanks for your understanding, and for your many contributions to this Community!

Edit Response:  Whoops!  Sorry Email footer.  Smiley Happy
Connect on LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Meg :-)
What is the UA# for the Property you are tracking (I am seeing a number of tracking codes with varying id's being used).

Multiple trackers can be used however the tracking code snippet needs to be configured in a particular way to handle more than one.

Meg H wrote:

I noticed in other forums that there have been issues with the coding and once certain lines are removed, it works properly. Can I get some guidance on this? 

Are you able to possibly provide further information? The link to the other forums would be helpful so as to read the actual conversation and what lines of code are being referred to etc.

The tracking code should be placed in the Settings > SEO > Header Code box. I would try and ensure only  a single tracking code is on the site, however if you need help with configuring multiple trackers I can help you with that :-)

Weebly does add their own tracking code for their own business purposes, which you have no control over, however it will not interfere with your own tracking

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn. We have the tracking code in the header code box on the "Home" page and then GA tacking code in the footer on the "Home" page and all other pages. Could this be causing cross domain tracking errors? Let me know what other info you need.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The Tracking Id for SpecialGlobe is:
UA-61225672-1

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Meg :-)

@Theo Bennett has offered you some excellent advice.
I seem to have cross posted with him earlier in the thread.

Couple of questions -

If the tracking id for specialglobe.com is UA-61225672-1

Where/why is there also tracking code for Property UA-48958147-2?
Is there meant to be more than one Property being used for tracking?

Are you needing cross domain tracking.. to a completely different domain such as www.someotherdomain.com? Or is it subdomain tracking that is required - a subdomain of www.specialglobe.com such as somesubdomain.specialglobe.com?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Meg,

@Bronwyn hit the nail on the head. When the universal tracker is created for 48958147-2 it happens before your version of the snippet and prevents your version of the snippet from creating the tracker again. (Therefore, no data!)

The best thing to do is clean up the site so there is only one version of your GA tracking code on the site. Right now there is one snippet that is called through code and is probably Weebly's then there is a universal version , then a classic version and then the one you mentioned here.

If for some reason you cannot remove the other versions you'll need to name your tracker.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#naming_tr...

If all you need is subdomain tracking you would be all set once the additional trackers are set up.

@Bronwyn has added a lot to my original reply, much kudos deserved. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn