Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a dashboard with 2 object on it. One is a metric widget showing the metric "users" the other is a table with "date" as the dimension and "users" as the metric. When I add the rows of users in this table it does not equal the "users" widget?

The date range is only 2 days. (but I am seeing this issue on longer date ranges also)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Analytics Users

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @James E

The way users are calculated in analytics is different. The user metric is not additive, but session is. For Eg:
Lets say, a user visits a website on 1st Jan & 2nd Jan.
The report for 1st Jan only will show: 1 User 1 session.
The report for 2nd Jan only will show: 1 User 1 session
Now, the report for 1st - 2nd Jan will show: 1 User 2 session.

The total users for a particular date range will always be less(or equal), if you add daywise users, because of some of them are repeating.

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Ritwik

Google Analytics Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I read this elsewhere, the problem I am having with this is that looking at date ranges from 2015-2017 I see 1.5 million users. When I add the rows together the total users is around 2.1 million. 

Does this mean that 600,000 people during this time period looked crossed over dates like you explained above. That number seems high for that to be the only thing influencing this.

Google Analytics Users

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@James E you answered yourself Smiley Happy

That 600K represents users who have been to your site more than once over the period.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Google Analytics Users

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @James E,

Actually the users metric has two different calculations for time frame and non-time frame dimensions.  You can read a bit detail here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2992042?hl=en 

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik

Re: Google Analytics Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The a metric widget that shows users for a period shows the number of distinct users not total users?

Google Analytics Users

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Except that doesn't apply in James' case where the only dimension is the date which is common and used in Calculation #1 in the link you provided.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Google Analytics Users

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

That's the thing. It reports on "unique" aka distinct users, which are unique for the period you are looking at.

As @Ritwik B as you add up date ranges, the unicity is applied over the entire range and not the smaller ranges.

Example:

User A comes to site in January and February

User B comes to site in January, February and March

User C comes to site in March

Stats for January: 2 users

Stats for February: 2 users

Stats for March: 2 users

Stats for Q1: 3 users

Re: Google Analytics Users

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any documentation that specifies this? Because when I hover over the widget it says

"Users that have had at least one session within the selected date range. Includes both new and returning users"

that wording (specifically "both new and returning users") makes it seem that this is not distinct

Google Analytics Users

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You're confusing apples and oranges here.

New and returning users are not the same thing as unique users.

Maybe start with the basics?

https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/