Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics User Timings API

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am using User Timing API for recording performance of my application. It say's in the documentation:

"Google Analytics will sample timing hits during processing in order to ensure an equitable distribution of system resources for this feature.

The rate at which timing hits are sampled is determined by the total number of pageview hits received during the previous day for the property. The following table outlines how the timing sampling rate is determined"

If I look at my previous day's pageview hits (I believe pageviews and pageview hits are same which we get from Audience -> Overview) it is 47,101 for March 1st. If we calculate 10% of 47,101 = 4710.1. I can't see 4710 user timing hits. It only shows 826 on March 2nd. But we have way more user timing hits than 826. How do I validate this?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics User Timings API

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Assuming you have your timing configured correctly and your using analytics.js (universal code) the 10% is not a hard and fast rule it really depends on your sites traffic as the following table shows:

Total pageview hit count (previous day) Maximum number of timing hits that will be processed
0 - 1,000 100
1,000 - 100,000 10% of total pageview hit count
100,000 - 1,000,000 10,000
1,000,000+ 1% of total pageview hit count

Also to avoid sending GA hits that will not be processed the percentage of hits sent via the sampleRate and siteSpeedSampleRate are by default configured to 100% and 1% respectively. These values can be adjusted so if you wrote the code see if you adjusted these or left them at default. It is also possible that some data has yet to be fully processed by GA or not all pages are being processed due to missing timing code on some pages.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Brian,

I am only tracking selective ajax request defined in the object and send the data to GA using below standard code. No extra information is been logged into GA. However I am still trying to figure out why GA not recording rest of the data even if I have not reached 10% limit.

This is my pageview hits for 1st March 2016.analytics1.png

This is my User timings records count on 2nd march.

analytics2.png
"ga('send', 'timing', timingCategory, timingVble, totalTime, timingLbl);"

Below is my previous post and the code I am using to log user timings which guided me to the first step of solution.
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Code-Implementation/Google-analytics-not-recording-data-fo...

Thanks,
-Nilang

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
your sample size is listed in the top line of your report and looks like 8.50% or 8,596 you will need to adjust your sample size to see more data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried to increase sampling size but it doesn't change any data on the interface. Is it possible to see all data that's been logged into analytics?

analytics3.png

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

If using Analytics.js you might try adding the following example to your code change the 5 to 100 and you should get 100%, I do not know if GA will still sample with this set but worth a try.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/field-reference#sampleRate