Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Sampling Well Under Session Limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have around 10,000 sessions per day but reports with just two dimensions have started to sample our data. Per this article https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192, GA should start to sample when its dealing with >500k sessions, but we are well under the threshold and we are still seeing sampled data.

We also tried to move a third of our data to a different property since that page also states sampling occurs on a property level, but this new property with even less data also began to sample. 

We've used GA for about 3 years but this problem just started a month ago. Any ideas on what could have changed?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Nithya,

You say you have 10k sessions per day but not how many days of data you were viewing.   If you are looking at more days and sessions than the threshold (it varies by report with most reports at 500K) you'll hit sampling anytime you ask for something that is not a pre-aggregated report i.e. second dimensions, segments,  custom reports.

On which reports and how many sessions were you seeing sampling?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I should clarify I was only looking at one day. I also read that custom reports are more likely to sample, but even Behavior > site content > All pages samples for one day of data and two dimensions.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Are you looking at a day other than today?

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it has been full days of data

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Nithya,

Can you replicate it on any day of data or just some?  Is this only for sessions prior to September 2016?

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it happens for any given day. I've been looking at data from the past week mostly. I mentioned that I've only been seeing this problem for the past month, but now even if I pick a random day in March our data is sampled.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hmmm.. If you have users in your scorecard (users as primary dimension is rolling out slowly) then you can try to create a custom report without users to avoid sampling.  That said, it should only affect old data and not recent stuff. 

You may also want to report a bug here as I cannot replicate.  There is one similar to yours:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62525952

Good luck!

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry Im not sure what you mean by "Users"? Is that a dimension (and if it is, we dont use it)?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

There's a bug in there somewhere.  Replicated and added to the issue.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.