Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Problems Zero Active Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Something is wrong with my Google Analytics today. It is not showing my page views. Most of the day I have had zero active users on my site. I've had the code installed for years but something with this update has thrown things off.

Back when the Universal code became available I set the code up for two different domains. My site was www and was changes to http. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issue today. When I go into my account I now have an option for ALL WEBSITE DATA for one of the urls. This is not the view I usually use. But on and off all day I could see about half the normal active users on my site. When I go back over to the normal view I use all my stats are there except for the real time active users. The active users have also shown up a few times in my normal stat dashboard.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to get this fixed. My site is flouronmyface.com.

Arlene

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, what is the tracking id for your property, there seem to be numerous tracking codes installed and numerous google tag manager containers too.
How is the tracking installed on your website?
Via a plugin, via a theme admin option.. some other method?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Correct me if I am wrong.  Shouldn't the Tag Manager code be right before the <head>

Re: Google Analytics Problems Zero Active Users

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Brett M wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong.  Shouldn't the Tag Manager code be right before the <head>

Do you maybe mean </head>? ;-)

There is also another GTM container installed via a plugin before the closing </head> tag too

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thanks for your help! honestly it has been so long I have no idea where it is or was. Everything was working fine yesterday.

Back when the Universal code became available I swear I added it to a my themes simple hooks. I am not comfortable working in the code so unless there is a simple way to do something I don't mess with it. I have not updated my childtheme but there was a WordPress update two days ago.  I know I have a couple of Google Tag Manger containers from networks I work with. There should be 3 or 4 of them. GA shouldn't be installed more than once as I had that issue many years ago and had it fixed.

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-22748897-2', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I'm not seeing any tracking code for tracking id UA-22748897-2 installed, when i check the site with Google Tag Assistant.

gen-noanalytics.jpg

Usually an update to WP itself would not remove/affect the tracking, as tracking is usually installed via a plugin or

the active theme's settings.

If you reinstall the tracking, you should see data start appearing in your reports again within 24-48hrs.

Given that you have been seeing data without the tracking being installed, im wondering if some of the data being reported, might be spam data, rather than legitimate visitor traffic.

Do you have a seperate View setup with any filters applied to it to help?

You mention simple hooks too, so i'm assuming you are using Genesis framework with a child theme.
As a matter of interest, Genesis has a built in option to add script code to the <head></head> section of your website.

The Header and Footer Scripts section is found at the bottom of the Genesis > Theme Settings page

gen-scripts.jpg

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey!  Please correct me if I am wrong, in the documentation for GTM it says, "Copy and paste the code snippets into your website as instructed. The <script> portion of the JavaScript snippet will be placed in the <head> of your web page's HTML output, and the <noscript> section should appear immediately after the opening <body> element. For best results, the <script> portion of the snippet should be placed as close to the opening <head> element as possible, but below any dataLayer declarations"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is my concern and the reason I didn't put the code back into a Genesis simple hook yesterday. If my code disappeared then why I am seeing some pageviews. I just went and looked and they are not spam views.  I checked my site with the Tag Assistant also yesterday, I went over my site looking for the code. Checked every widget, hook and even looked in my css in case the tech I used to fix some resource issues moved it. I didn't find it or the old GA code anywhere. But when I paid closer attention to the code numbers for the  ALL WEBSITE DATA view where I was seeing some views I noticed that it ended with a different number vs the Universal code and is probably my old GA code I used before I updated to the Universal code. So wouldn't that mean the old GA code is still on my site somewhere? If it is then why isn't it showing up when my site is searched with the Tag Assistant?

I just added the Universal code back into a simple hook and am seeing some active users right now. Which is a relief but doesn't solve the problem of why and where those live views were coming from yesterday. Even though it will take a day or two for all my other stats to adjust will the live views be accurate? I normally have very high pageviews and what I see at the moment isn't what I should be seeing.

How can I figure out where these other Tag Managers are from? Some of them I can figure out because there is something in the code that shows me a name of the networks but others I have no clue. Many of them I don't work with and I can get rid of them. Some of them I think belong to my current adnetwork. Some could be from adnetworks I don't use any longer. Thanks for all your help!

Arlene

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Arlene M

If my code disappeared then why I am seeing some pageviews. I just went and looked and they are not spam views.

Spam data can be sent to your analytics reports in a wide number of ways, usually without a visitor having to actually visit your website. 
I strongly suggest checking out the following article.

Its a long read but if worked thru slowly, it will teach you about the different types of spam data that can affect your reports, how to check for it, and how to setup the necessary Views and Segments both as a preventative and to fix what may already be affecting your reports

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Currently, tracking code for UA-22748897-2 is now installed, however its not installed in the correct part of your site (between the <head> </head> tag, it's in a div after the opening body tag.) which might prevent it from tracking/working as expected.

tracking-wrong-place.jpg

I do recommend using the Genesis > Theme Settings Header script option for adding the tracking code snippet, it will ensure it gets added to the correct area of your website code.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Brett M yes, that is correct. 
(you initially asked if it should be right before the <head> tag)

Hence my reply - Do you maybe mean </head>?. ;-)

I realized you had in all probability made a typo, however I dont know you or your familiarity with the subject, and sometimes new users that are unfamiliar with code, do think it does need to be placed before the <head> tag.