Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Location Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We have had Google Analytics set up for a while now. We rely on this data heavily for some of our business practices, but while taking a look at the Location data coming in from the Location Tracker, it seems we have not been getting any traffic from the United States since August, which is clearly wrong since we, ourselves, have been accessing the sire and our customers are accessing it regularly from the United States. Instead, it seems we are "getting the most hits" from Russia, of all places.

Is there any known issues with Google Analytics that began near August that can account for this incorrect/missing data?

Thank you,

Kay

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Kayla,

No known issues but some very common mistakes are made. Lets rule those out are you applying any filters or segments in either the admin section or within the UI.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian,

I have to admit that I am not the one who set up Google Analytics on our site. Therefore, my knowledge is limited and I'll explain in more detail than necessary.

On "analytics.google.com -> Admin -> Account -> All Filters" there are no filters set up. Under "analytics.google.com -> Admin -> View -> PERSONAL TOOLS & ASSETS -> Segments" there are no segments.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Ok that is good news as any filters or segments there would result in a loss of data, so now in your UI the area where you look at your reports up at the top it should say All Users.

So go to Audience-->Overview and just below the title make sure it says All Users with ablue circle and while your in that area make sure your date range is set to what you want to look at.

Once the above is verified click on country under demographics on that same page and the data to its right should change to the countries your traffic has come from let me know if you see United States

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian,

No, no United States since August.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

can you share your URL and then I can hit the page and you can see if you see me in real time

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Brian,

After comparing the tracking code to the one we have on file, it may be that we changed it. I'll keep you updated.