Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics + Google Tag Manager + Wordpress (JetPack) - interference

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Google community,

I recently was asked by a client to help them report the number of hits they were getting by category on their wordpress site (www.theenergyst.com). after looking around for various methods of doing this I decided that setting up a GTM account and using a datalayer to send the page category information via GTM to GA was the best course of action. It was quite fiddely but I have managed to get it working.

Unfortunately from the day I added the Tag GA and Jetpack in wordpress (which is generally how they view stats) are misaligned, it looks to me that GA is reporting double  the hits of Jetpack. Secondly the bounce rate in GA dropped off a cliff and has been almost zero since I did this.

I understand that there is likely to be a disparity between the stats due to admin, bots, etc. but its almost exactly twice as much traffic which leads me to thinking I have messed up with the tagging in some way?

Any help / advice would be very much appreciated.

Christan Foden 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Foden
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Foden,

I have checked your site and found Multiple Google Analytics tags, that could be the reason. You have to keep only one tag active and rest need to remove.

**Keep GTM code only and remove others** and check again.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Foden
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Foden,

I have checked your site and found Multiple Google Analytics tags, that could be the reason. You have to keep only one tag active and rest need to remove.

**Keep GTM code only and remove others** and check again.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for quick response! I'll give that a go now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've noticed they are also using Yoast and it looks like that is where the general GA tracking code is saved, I have deleted that now so should just be the GTM code active if I have done it correctly, will this effect any other metrics being sent to GA? or will all the same data go via GTM back to GA?