Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Drop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently switched Servers from Lithium Hosting to WPEngine and in the process I have noticed that I have lost between 70%-85% of our impressions since I migrated to the new server.  i have had technicians check to see if any blocks or firewall rules in place that would disrupt it but they came back with nothing.  I have recently reverified my site with google and am awaiting to see if that boosts anything.  Is there a test or any solution that anyone knows of to get these impressions back?  Any help would be much appreciated!

B

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Drop

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ben
Not sure what you mean by you lost your impressions? What impressions? On AdWords? In Google search? On some other ad network?
This is the Google Analytics community and there's no impression metric that's non-advertisment specific. If you're having a GA problem, can you be a little more specific? Remember, we cannot see what you see. All we have to go on is what you say.

You might also want to try installing the Google Tag assistant chrome extension. This helps diagnose any GA and GTM issues.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am sorry I had a couple of different things going through my head at the time. What I meant to say was that in our analytics we had lost a bunch of Page Views and other stats in the process of our Migration. Since writing this I was able to figure out what was causing the issue and I am in the process of correcting the issue. What happened is that when we migrated to a new server it switched everything from our original URL to having ourURL.WPEngine.com so this threw off our analytics for about a week and a half. Now one thing that really messed it up was when we migrated over some of the pictures and or custom links began having ourURL.WPEngine.com in them. I have gone through and changed all of them to be the correct URL. Our company is very dependent on those analytics we get from google because it give our sales team a good understanding of what we can and can not sell for advertisements on our sites. My question to you is there a way to restore those numbers that we lost through google? Would we be able to say go through and cross reference everything that got a hit for ourURL.WPEngine.com? Any sort our insight about how to get back those Analytics would be much appreciated!

Ben

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ben
Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying.

Actually, I had a similar issue with when WPengine a few months back due to a migration that they performed as part of their service. Unfortunately, the hits were simply not being sent to the GA server so we lost that data. It was just for two days but still.

If the same thing happened to you, it's unlikely you'll be able to recover it. Even if it was only incorrectly attributed, there is no way to retroactively correct any metric other than transactions.

Take it as a lesson learned and maybe conasider using GTM in the future to help avoid this.

Sorry that's not the answer you were looking for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In your experience how accurate would the data that was collected from WPEngine as their analytics be against lets say Google Analytics? Is there another solution I am not thinking of? Already in process of setting up GTM for us but trying to come up with best possible solution for the given circumstances.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One other thing that I have noticed is that when I go to the sites that I am getting literally nothing back on the analytics. I have gone through and taken out all links with .WPEngine in them. Is there a reason why Analytics wouldn't be sending anything? Getting a flatline on everything!