Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Data - Sessions Count differ MacBook vs iPhone

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the last few days, I have noticed that my Session Count as reported on the Google Analytics App are different between my MacBook and iPhone.  For example the data reported yesterday Feb 28th, 2017, shows a total session count of 2,131 on my iPhone and the same time period on my MacBook shows 2,530. On Feb 27, 2017 the sessions count is 2,136 on the iPhone app and 2,650 on the MacBook app.  

Can you help me understand what is going on?

Thanks, 

Dean Dubinsky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dean D
March 2017

Re: Google Analytics Data - Sessions Count differ MacBook vs iPhone

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Dean,

Are you 100% sure that you're analyzing exactly the same property and view on your iPhone and Macbook?

Here you can see what do I mean:

views.png

One thing to keep in mind is that processing latency is 24-48 hours in Google Analytics but it still seems a bit weird.

I noticed that you've installed old version of Google Analytics on your site (it's outdated). If possible, try upgrading to Universal Analytics. Here you can read more about that.

If you analyze for example 15th of February do you still see the difference?

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I realized that perhaps you need the website:  

www.pctrf.org 

Please let me know if you need any additional data to check this out.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dean D
March 2017

Re: Google Analytics Data - Sessions Count differ MacBook vs iPhone

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Dean,

Are you 100% sure that you're analyzing exactly the same property and view on your iPhone and Macbook?

Here you can see what do I mean:

views.png

One thing to keep in mind is that processing latency is 24-48 hours in Google Analytics but it still seems a bit weird.

I noticed that you've installed old version of Google Analytics on your site (it's outdated). If possible, try upgrading to Universal Analytics. Here you can read more about that.

If you analyze for example 15th of February do you still see the difference?

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. But I am not sure how changing the version of Analytics App would change the data. Until a few days ago, the mobile and Desktop versions of the two Apps showed exactly the same data. And suddenly they don't. Looking back to Feb 15, 2017 shows 2656 sessions on my MacBook and 2132 on the Mobile version of Google Analytics on my iPhone. 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Dean, I recommend contacting the official support. It's pretty hard to figure out what might be the issue without having an access to your account. I am sure, they are can help you with that.

Let us know how it goes @Dean D.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you Taavi, I just completed an official support form.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have GOOD NEWS.  Received an email on March 3rd from AdWords Support. Two days later, March 5th, the Total Session Count on obtained from Google Analytics on my iPhone is exactly the same as Google Analytics on my MacBook.  I did not change anything.  Still awaiting an explanation. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dean

Thanks for this information. That's great!

Let us know if you get more details.

All the best,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Contacted from Adwords support today via phone.  No real explanation.  Just the fact that my incident report was passed onto the experts, and they corrected it.  Seems the Desktop Version of Google Analytics was correct, while the Mobile version of Google Analytics was dropping about 15% of the Sessions.  Both Apps are back in synch again, so I am happy!