Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There.

I am wondering whether Google Analytics will be able to track detailed conversion through my website to my external clients. For example, I need to be able to track the following:

- How many people are clicking through to sites via my website

- How many people are purchasing products through those external websites via my website

- Lastly, how much each person is spending in sales at those purchases.

Will Google Analytics be able to do all of this or do you have any recommendations for how I can do this? My business model will be based on taking a commission % of total sales that have come via my website, so it's imperative I be able to track the above.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Google Analytics Conversion Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Suzy,

Google analytics tracking is limited to your own domain (where analytics code is present). So you can only track clicks to third party sites. In order to track product purchase and revenue, your tracking code is required on 3rd party site with additional events to track ecommerce and then send data to GA. If you are unable to add additional code then only link click can be tracked.

Hope this will help you Smiley Happy

Cheers
Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Noman

Thank you for your response. I am unable to add code myself as I'm not very technical and I can't add anything to the third party sites. Is this something they can set up through GA that I can link to? Or do you know of another program whereby I would be able to do everything I am wanting to do? Thanks again!

Sent from Suzy's iPhone

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Suzy,

There is no as such tool that will automatically add code snippets to your site and if you don't have access to third party site you can't do anything.

You need access to third GA account if they have setup. Third party account will show you the number of users referring from your site.

if you need any other info please let me know

cheers

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Suzy_L,

As an affiliate you should have an affiliate login with a platform that updates you on how many sales are coming through your affiliate link. If this is not happening then you should not trust your affiliate partner and work with someone more upstanding and transparent.

Unfortunately, if you do not have the ability to add google analytics code to their website, nor gain even reporting level access to their google analytics account, unfortunately you will not be privy to the data you wish to track.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nick. So I should be asking them for an affiliate login to their google analytics which they should be able to set up? I just want to make sure everything is done as simply as possible to not put them out by having to do anything after initial setup which sounds like it's required...

Sent from Suzy's iPhone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nick. So I should be asking them for an affiliate login to their google analytics which they should be able to set up? I just want to make sure everything is done as simply as possible to not put them out by having to do anything after initial setup which sounds like it's required...

Sent from Suzy's iPhone

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Suzy_L,

I should clarify my statement. I meant that those who run affiliate programs should be able to give you an affiliate account and an affiliate link for the purposes of tracking revenues that come from your referral whether that be from a social media post or your website. I'm not saying they will give you google analytics access, rather you should have access to their 3rd party affiliate platform as an affiliate where you can log in to see how much revenues were generated by your efforts.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick