Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics - Channel Grouping

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone.

I am having a difficult time setting my "channels" reporting.

I am am posting Facebook posts with utm tracking parameters and they are being reported as "other" default channel groups in my GA report. I would like these tracked posts to be reported under the default channel groups "social" as this is where they belong and it makes sense. How can I set this? I tried customizing my default socual channel grouping and defined rules:

if source contains "Facebook" , match with social channel group, but this does not seem work. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you

PS - if you need extra info, I will gladly provide it.

Re: Google Analytics - Channel Grouping

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Damjan,

This is how Social is defined in Google Analytics in the default channel grouping:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 17.51.43.png 

Here you can read more about that.

So basically, social marketing channel can be made up of any number of traffic sources as long as the medium of the traffic sources is

1. social
or
2. social media
or
3. social-media
or
4. social network
or
5. social-network

Keep that in mind, if you create a new UTM link.

For example, by default social marketing channel can be made up of following traffic sources:

1. facebook / social
2. twitter / social media
3. instagram / social-network

You can create your own custom channel grouping as well if you want.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi once again.

This has actually resolved, after a while - so after doing the channel groupings, the tracked facebook posts are displayed under "social" channel grouping.

I have a new problem now: once i click "social" and drill down to the "social network", i get (not set)  instead of in Facebook. It shows the correct way when I look at the Source/Medium report. Is there any way to fix this?

Capture.PNG

Also, below is the principle which i use for tagging the post:

Capture.PNG

Any clue is appreciated, thank you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Damjan A
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Damjan A, I recommend changing your Social channel configuration back to default in your default channel grouping settings.

If you use this kind of campaign parameters, your sessions will go under Social channel:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 18.13.10.png

If you read my last post, you'll get more information about that.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Taavi Kalvi, thank you for taking the time to answer - i wrote my 2nd post just as you were replying, so missed it. 

If i understand you correctly, i will have to use any of the mentioned "social" variants for the medium field (in utm tracking), and also "facebook" for source (in utm tracking). 

The reason i am tracking the Facebook posts is because i would like to know which FB group reacts better to my posts. So in essence i would like to achieve:

1. to include the name of the FB group in the utm info (but not as a campaign name, since the "campaign" name is the offer (free ebook).

2. to have all Facerbook traffic (also the tracked traffic) fall under social channel (i managed this for now) 

3. If i drill down (from clicking on "social" channel traffic) to the "social network", to have the social network set  to Facebook (instead of (not set) > still a problem

From what i read it seems that GA does not recoginse that FB is the network in this case and it must due to not a perfect tracking.

Would this UTM setting be appropriate?:

campaign source = facebook

campaign medium = social-fb-group-1

campaign name = free-ebook

or does the campaign medium have to be strictly = social (or any of the variants outlined in your post above)

Thank you

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Taavi Kalvi: this makes sense and thank you for taking the time. 

One thing which i am asking myself: is there any way to differentiate posts at a level that is different than the "campaign name"? I would like to have 1 campaign name (ex Christmas sale) and then be able to drill down and see which Facebook post performed best.

Would adding post info in any other field than "campaign name" solve this or do they have to be as you suggested?

Thank you

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If i understand you correctly, i will have to use any of the mentioned "social" variants for the medium field (in utm tracking), and also "facebook" for source (in utm tracking). 

Yes, you're right. You can use another sources as well, like instagram, twitter etc but if you'd like to see this traffic under Social channel, then medium should equal to social as you mentioned.

From what i read it seems that GA does not recoginse that FB is the network in this case and it must due to not a perfect tracking.

Facebook traffic usually goes under Social channel, if you don't use specific mediums as you did previously. Sometimes you'll see a lot link shim pages in your reports as well but there's a solution on how to get rid of them.

Would this UTM setting be appropriate?:

campaign medium = social-fb-group-1

or does the campaign medium have to be strictly = social (or any of the variants outlined in your post above)

Campaign medium should always be social, social media, social-media, social network or social-network. If someone shares your website on Facebook, you'll see facebook / referral and it usually goes under Social channel as well in your default channel grouping.

This works well for you:

campaign medium = social

campaign content = fb-group-1

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Taavi Kalvi. Thanks to your help i figured it out!

I use your configuration and i use the field "campaign content" to differentiate between posts in different groups. Tested + it works like a charm. I even preffer this data drill structure.

Thank you once again!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

system defined channel - matches - social

OR

Source - Matches regex - ^(Facebook|facebook)$ 

This collects all my data from social media, as well as all my UTM tagged content on Facebook in the same social channel. 

If you need to, you can just add more social platforms to the regex i.e. ^(Facebook|facebook|Instagram|instagram)$ etc. if you UTM tag content on other platforms as well. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Nicolai K,

Choosing the matches regex option is a way to make a value not case sensitive. If you use regex option, you don't have to use those different values (Facebook and facebook).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi