Analytics
5.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Attribution Modeling - First Interaction - Please Help Me!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there! - thanks for taking time to read and help me!

We have a GTM configuration problem so most of our last-non-direct (standard reporting) traffic & conversions are attributed to self-referrals (we're fixing currently).

But - I was playing with the attribution model section recently and noted that First Interaction was reporting what looks like much more accurate numbers (please see screenshot attached) - when asking around, someone told me "The first click channel gets set before the self-referral" - but I can't find any Google Support documentation on developer. or support. that elucidates this.

While yes, we will fix our self-referral problem, I'm super-itchy to find documentation about "The first click channel gets set before the self-referral" so I can point to that internally in meetings here to verify / validate what this 'someone' I talked to told me... can you please point me to that documentation?

I would be very, very grateful for that, thanks! Smiley Happy
David
Here's a link to the screenshot I referred to above, thanks again! http://screencast.com/t/aoh1OzoXNMm
MC_GA_First_Click_TEMP.png

Re: Google Analytics Attribution Modeling - First Interaction - Please Help Me!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Can anyone please help?-thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Anyone? Can anyone help here please?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
August 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David,

Here's what's likely happening:

1. Say somebody comes to your website through Organic Search and doesn't convert. They then come back in the next few days directly to your website. In the "Last Interaction" view, credit for that conversion would go to the Direct visit. In the "First Interaction" view, the credit would go to Organic Search.

2. Say a second user comes to your website through Organic Search and then converts. There is only one visit so credit would go to Organic Search in both the First and Last Interaction views.

3. Here is where the self-referral problem comes in: You have a third-user who comes through Organic Search and converts, however, while they are visiting your site, they visit on a page with a self-referral problem. This self-referral problem will report as they have actually had two, separate visits. The first visit would be Organic Search, the second one would be a Referral.

Similar to the first example I offered, the Organic Search would get credit in the "First Interaction view", "Referral" would get credit in the Last Interaction View. This is why your screenshot looks more appropriate and why you heard that the first-click channel would get credit before the referral.

Hope this helps!

Neil

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Neil - thanks a million for making time here, this is very helpful! -David