AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Google Aanalytics Sessions help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiii 

I am new to google Analytics, I have recently registered my website in Google Analytics, In reports section, it is showing sessions wise.

My Question is

1. One session means how many users?

2. From the below report how to know many daily traffic visitors count?

3. How to know what is the most popular post in my website (most hitters in my website)?

Report.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1- 1 session = 1 user but 1 user can mean 1 or more sessions

2- daily traffic can be averaged by taking all users and dividing by number of days but that's not exactly recommended because some daily users can be users on more than one day

3- go to Behavior > Site Content > All pages and look for pages with the most views

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

1. Each session is a site visit by one user. If I visit your blog twice, I will count as one user and 2 sessions (the first 2 metrics below the graph). 

2. It looks like you started receiving traffic around 10/15/16. For average daily sessions my preferred way would be updating the date range to start on 10/15/16 and then downloading the report to CSV or Excel. From there, you're a simple =average() function away. GA does not have a default metric corresponding to average sessions/users per day. 

3. Assuming each of your blog posts lives in a different URL, go to Behavior in the left navigation, then Site Contents, then All Pages. This should already be sorted by which pages have the most pageviews. 

Best,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you , can you please give me how that pie chart will prepare....

Something like new user and old users....

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

In that screenshot, you had 632 "users" visit your site. Of those users, 30.3% were considered new and 60.7% were considered returning. GA registers new users based on their session number, so only users that recorded their "first" visit during your date range would be considered new users. 

These numbers are a bit inflated, especially if you're using the default client based implementation. If I visited your site a total of 6 times using different browsers and/or devices, I would show up as 6 users when in reality I'm really only one user. I believe there is a way to track users across different clients but only if you have some sort of login feature. 

Best,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you , but when i click on the Page Views, the graph is refreshed and showing 710 users.

According to you 1session = 1 users, but in the Page Views it is showing different. Can you please explain in detail.

EX:

In session it is showing  86 

In page view showing 710

am unable to understanding  this two results.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Your user count should not change on audience overview unless you edit the date range or add segments. Changing the graph to pageviews will display pageview data, so the 710 number is actually referencing pageviews instead of users. 

Pageviews is a hit level metric that fires every time a page is loaded, meaning each visit to your site can generate unlimited numbers of pageviews. In your example above, 86 site visits loaded a total of 710 pageviews. 

Since you're new to GA, I highly recommend taking the free Digital Analytics Fundamental course offered by Google. There's a short video/transcript for each area of GA and a quiz to make sure you're understanding everything correctly. You're free to pick and choose which areas to look at (such as metrics) but learning each section will allow you to take the GA certification test. 

Best,

Mike