Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Total Discrepancy - Different Channels Same Totals

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good morning guys - I don't know if anybody would be able to assist. I have two goals set (we have cross domain tracking set up) there seems to be an issue with organic and paid traffic. The goal volume they seem to be the same number on both channels which obviously does not seem right. Does anybody know a reason that this could be caused?

Thanks in Advance 

Channel

Sessions

Bounce Rate

Avg. Session Duration

Goal 1 CVR

Goal 1 Total

Goal Two CVR

Goal two Total

Paid Search

49.14%

00:02:33

1.23%

1.19%

Organic Search

44.99%

00:02:58

2.21%

2.14%

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal Total Discrepancy - Different Channels Same Totals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Where did you get your numbers from? Extracted from a standard report or a custom report?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mike,

This is extracted from a standard acquisition  report.

To give this more content. We have a website that has about 8 products on the site. The users Landing on site, they then chose the product which takes them two a new page, when they get a quote that takes to to a quote page on another URL. This is the same set up for all products. All products share the same quote pages.

I have created new goal for each product:

Step 1 - Visit Product Page 1
Step 2 - Quote Page 1
Step 3- Quote Page 2
Step 4 - Quote Page 3
Goal Page - Thankyou

All though the goal is set up to required I believe that for some reason it is being ignored. As he goal totals are the exact same for all channels. Different goals are doing the same thing (displaying the same goal total across all multiple channels)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I ...think... that unless Visit Product Page 1 is marked as a Required first step, that any visit to the Goal Page will trigger the goal, regardless of how it got there. The rest simply help define the 'preferred' funnel path, but unless you make that first step required, the goal logic allows you to enter the goal at any point, including the last step.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah I totally agree, that why I find this issue strange the goals are set a required. I think I may create a new view to isolate the traffic.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Olofunmi & Mike,

The required first step does NOT affect your overall goal counts. It does not matter how users enter, they will always get credit for one conversion per session. The required first step only affects the old funnel visualization reports and is a flag to determine whether or not the users session will be drawn in this report. Since the goal flow reports came out, I don't have much use for the funnel viz reports anymore. Smiley Happy

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

Now to the goal total issue, is this a consistent issue, that is are they always the same or is this just an abberation?

Also have you modified your channel groupings in any way? That is, have you somehow included organic and paid in both channels?

If you to to Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Source/Medium and change your primary dimension to medium, do you still see the same numbers for cpc and organic?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn