Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Flow shows only 2 of 3 steps in the Goal. But Funnel Visualization shows all 3. Why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got a  3 step GoalSmiley Sadbelow)

It's very very unlikely they could get to the final Goal step without hitting step 2.

(The final goal is on another website).

Yet, I see data for visits to all steps of the Goal in the Funnel Visualization, but NOT in the Goal Flow.

Issues I'm seeing:

1. Goal Flow shows 223 successes.  (nearly a 70% success rate) which is crazy high conversion (I WISH it were accurate)
  2. I'm unclear on whether Goal Flow's "Step 2" refers to step 2 of the Goal (in which case the label is wrong, see last screenshot below). Or does it refer to actually completing the Goal. If the latter, why would it be called Step 2? And what happened to "the real" step 2?

GOAL DEFINITION

goal definition..png

Goal Flow

Shows only 2 steps. But there are 3 in the Goal.

Is it the second green section (223 successes) the goal COMPLETIONS or Step 2 completions?

goal flow2.pngFunnel Visualization.png

What does Step 2 refer to?

The actual step 2 of the Goal? or the Goal itself?

Goal Flow Label confusing.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
December 2016

Goal Flow shows only 2 of 3 steps in the Goal. But Funnel Visualization shows all 3. Why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

As far as I can tell:

1. Goal Flow includes ANY traffic that hits the "final step" of the Goal Funnel (technically I guess that's the Goal and the extra steps you define (optionally) in the Goal are the Funnel.
Therefore, Goal Flow can show MUCH higher numbers.

2. The Step 2 thing:   My Goal had to "funnel steps" before the goal. The second step had error in the RegEx (so it showed 0 pages)

3. Goal Flow is showing the number of Steps users took to get to the Goal. It doesnt' 'see" the second step of the funnel (because of the error above). So instead of 3 steps for the funnel it shows only 2.And Funnel Visualization is backfilling the intermediate steps.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, and the 2nd and final step of the Goal are on another domain (which is set up for cross domain tracking).  Seems to be working since the Funnel Visualization shows proper data.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

As far as I can tell:

1. Goal Flow includes ANY traffic that hits the "final step" of the Goal Funnel (technically I guess that's the Goal and the extra steps you define (optionally) in the Goal are the Funnel.
Therefore, Goal Flow can show MUCH higher numbers.

2. The Step 2 thing:   My Goal had to "funnel steps" before the goal. The second step had error in the RegEx (so it showed 0 pages)

3. Goal Flow is showing the number of Steps users took to get to the Goal. It doesnt' 'see" the second step of the funnel (because of the error above). So instead of 3 steps for the funnel it shows only 2.And Funnel Visualization is backfilling the intermediate steps.