Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Destination showing conversions in Landing Page report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

A lead-gen client I'm working on has a number of noindex/nofollow 'Thank You' pages which we use to track leads/goals on the website. These are tracked as a destination URL goal, e.g. everytime a user completes a lead form, they reach a 'Thank You' page /next-steps and this triggers the goal in GA. From here we can work out lead splits, from organic, PPC, direct etc.

But looking at a landing page report, where we can see which pages are driving the most leads, these particular 'Thank You' pages are showing a large amount of leads/goals. I was under the impression that as these pages were infact the goal, that it would be impossible for a user to convert on them. 

Only thing I thought was whether there was a tracking issue? If there's somewhere on the site where users are using a data form that's not tracked, so GA thinks they are coming direct from Google?

Any help or advice would be brilliant. 

Thanks 

Goal Destination showing conversions in Landing Page report

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Andy C ,

I might not have got the whole scenario but just to add, the goals are triggered once per sessions.
So for eg: if user completes a goal on '/next-step' page and later again returns to the same page (maybe through bookmark or any other method) the landing page would be '/next-step' page and goal would get triggered.

This might be one of the reason and also second reason might be as you said some pages not being tracked and users land on goal page after filling forms.

Thanks,
Ritwik B