Analytics
6.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Goal Conversion Result from GA Different from Actual Results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community members, 

I have encountered an issue where the GA captured Goal conversion data is different from the actual conversion. Specifically, there were 45 transactions during a period of time while GA only captured a little bit over 1/3 of it. The way I set it up is based on the the URL on the checkout page.  Every transaction should go to that page in order to complete the transaction. So supposedly GA should have captured all the transactions. Am wondering whether there is anything we miss here that lead to such issue.

Thank you all in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Weishen Q

1/3 seems like a largish gap.
Having said that, there are a few things to keep in mind.
GA doesn't capture all website data, there are a number of instances where data wont be collected such as a user not having a javascript or image enabled browser for example, or if scripts fail to load on a page before a visitor navigates to another page or closes the browser window.

Also transactions are not goals. More than one transaction can occur within a session however the same goal will only register as a goal conversion once within the session. eg i buy something realize i forgot something and go make another purchase within the same session = two transactions but only one goal conversion.

Have you checked the site and/or thank you page with Google Tag Assistant for 'obvious' errors?

Are you able to possibly provide a link to the thank you page to allow one of us to take a look via browser?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Goal Conversion Result from GA Different from Actual Results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thanks a lot for the response, it is very helpful. Is below the thank
you page you are referring to ?

https://www.finecustommade.com/checkout/completed/

the situation you described doesn't look like our situation as every
transaction that went through should be captured as they are all from
different users. (if that is something you are referring to)

Can you provide more instruction about how to use the tag assistant to find
if there is any tracking issues for specific pages.

Another question, which is just to confirm how the filter works, if I have
set up the filter to exclude any activity from my IP address, does that mean
any testing orders or converstions I have conducted from my IP address
should not be captured during this process?

Thanks again.

Re: Goal Conversion Result from GA Different from Actual Results

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

I cant access the thank you page in order to look at the code on it via browser.

Just out of curiosity, when you navigate to do a test purchase and arrive on the above page .. 
does it have a / at the end of it? are there any parameters appended to it?
Reason i ask is because the page given above ends in a / however i noticed

the other pages on site that i checked do not.

Can you give more information as to how the goal itself is setup
a screenshot of the configuration may be helpful

Also i noticed the tracking code being used is the previous version and is in the bottom of the site pages
When its not in the <head></head> section it no longer loads asynchronously which means it may not load

before someone leaves a page or closes the browser window

Instructions for google tag assistant can be found here:
https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947095?hl=en

and video on google tag assistant recordings
https://youtu.be/_7zoJR6uq2g

When using filters, general rule of thumb is to leave the initial default View without any filters applied to it.
This way there is always a raw unedited copy of data should it be needed at any stage.

Usually there will be the default View, a Master reporting View and then a testing View.

Filters are not retroactive, so they will not remove data that has already been tracked.
They will remove data going forward.and it can sometimes take a couple of hours for changes

such as filters to take affect and a day or so to reflect a change in the standard reports..

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bronwyn V

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Yes, the GA code is outside of head due to the E-commerce platform's default setting. I did use tag assistant to track it looked look when I went through a transaction, it did capture every step. 

I think the page link I sent probably only works when you do complete an order. There is no parameters or anything after the checkout/complete, but it does look like associated with that particular order.

I don't know how to insert screenshot here, but the way I set all goals have been using the names of the Url. for example, my goal 1 is Add to Cart, so I use  Begin with /Cart in the Goal Details setting. Likewise, for Goal 2, I use the Begin with /OnePageCheckout in the Goal Details setting.  Is this the right way to do it?

In regard to the filter. I saw similar comments from the GA training that you better keep a raw data version without filter. so my question is that once the filter is set, it is automatically applied to the forward data. For example, I have set in the filter to exclude my own IP, so when I look the report, does the filter apply to what I see automatically, or is there any place where I have to turn on the filter. a follow question about this is that if the filter is applied automatically when viewing the reporting section, how do you get the unfiltered data if, like you said, it is not retroactive.  

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

I'm not quite understanding your question about filters.

If you have created and applied an IP filter, the View report will show you the data without your visits.. but only going forward from the time the filter is applied.
so.. say you were all over the site in the morning and then decided to apply an IP filter that evening. the data in that View from earlier that day (and all prior days) will still contain your site activity up to when the filter was applied.

I'm assuming the transactions occurred within a date range that the goal was configured correctly and set to record the goals. (Goals are not retroactive, nor will a goal track during periods where it's setting has been set to not record goals.)

For clarification, in the Behaviour > Site Content > All pages report.
How does it show up in the Pages report?
eg does it get reported as 

/checkout/completed/otherstuffhereontheend

or

/checkout/completed/

or (note no slash at the end)

/checkout/completed

How many unique pageviews for the above url are reported for the same date range

for the transactions?

if it gets reported as /checkout/completed
make sure the destination goal url has no slash on the end too

also keep in mind urls are case sensitive /Checkout/Completed 

is not the same as /checkout/completed

(to attach a screenshot.. select the option FULL REPLY EDITOR and which brings up an editor

similar to MS Word that has an option to add images/photos)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for your insight. I will try to watch closely this month and I believe I may have some setting issue with the Goal definition for transactions and will try to adjust. 

Also, google has a "make a transaction" that can be chosen as a segment to view the data. Not sure how it is defined as Make a transaction.....