Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Getting started with Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently following the advice to set up and steer our analytics in a useful direction, I have been able to get management to pin down what it wants to know, can anyone suggest a direction for me to achieve the below:

1. Total number of search impressions per month, compared to previous month (I have linked serarch console)
2. Total number of physical visits to our website, with comparisons for previous month. And an average since time began.
3. Top 10 search engine keywords/phrases for the month. Top 10 all time phrases.
4. Number of web generated enquiries per month (I have set up goal tracking for 'thanks.html' is this the best way?)
5. Number of web generated orders - i.e orders that originated from website (we have no ecommerce but we need to track leads generated from website) This is tricky as Im not sure how to track online leads through offline sources?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Michael

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting started with Analytics

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Michael I find it easier to export the data and capture it in an exel spreadsheet on one tab I save all the exported data by month then I add a few additional columns such as Year, Quarter, FY, Month, System (website), GA View and GA Account. I add any additional columns as needed for notes of interest to explain any type of dips or spikes in the data. This tab I label as RAW Data.

I then create a pivot table of this data on a new tab and this allows me to slice and dice the data in real time during a meeting when I am presenting the data to senior leadership or different organisations. I can answer questions on the fly and show them the data in a matter of seconds answering their questions almost as soon as they finish asking it. If I have application metrics (any metric outside of GA) and that can also be captured by the month I inlcude this data as well in the spreadsheet. Last I add a graph of the pivot table data so that as the numbers change above they can see a graphical view of growth or decline.

This allows for doing trend analysis and comparisions of data over the same time periods for different years. I can also do what if scenerios, as well as allowing me to look at the data from different points of view. I can include or exclude fields of data and show how chnages to the site or outside events influnce the traffic to my different sites.

In my case I find it much easier to present the data this way then to go from section to section inside of GA. Once I have it set up I only need to export the data once a month when time permits prior to the next meeting. I can also automate the process via excel plugins such as seo tools and update the data in real time during a meeting should they want a future projection based on up to the minute data.

Finally this exported data can be brought into BI engines such as sanddance, cognos, datamart, or a host of others and I can then go wild with the analysis.

Re: Getting started with Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your very thorough reply. I must admit its blatantly clear I'm many levels of understanding below you on these matters (Im a designer by trade!) but I'll do some investigating into what you have suggested and brush up on my Excel skills and start off simple see where that takes me. I am finding the Analytics very interesting but understanding them fully is another matter!