Analytics
7.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Geo Location Question

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I have a question, my client is located in Weston super Mare and is seeing organic search results from London, quite a high volume. I am looking under Audiance > Geo > Location > UK > City

Whats the reason for such a high organic session volume from London when they aren't based in London. Is this something to do with IPs that people in Weston Super Mare have a London IP or people in London have a Weston Super Mare IP?

Or am I totally wrong?

Thanks for your help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo Location Question

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Craig,

Have you looked to see if the the traffic is from mobile? If so this may explain it since Mobile geo-tracking is infamously inaccurate on a City level.

Additionally Craig your client may be benefiting from local SEO traffic results in the London region for whatever reason.

I would recommend you also look at your client's Google Webmaster Tools and look at the [ Search Traffic -> Search Analytics ] as well as [ Search Traffic -> Links to your Site ] to understand what is driving this organic traffic to your clients site in the first place.

Best,
Josh
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Geo Location Question

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for this Josh, very helpful.