Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Gender/Age Reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to understand the age/gender reporting a little better, so hopefully someone can identify any gaps in what I know.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  

I enabled age/gender reporting for a client and saw the yellow flagged message "some data in this report may have been removed when a threshold was applied."  I clicked on the link and found the following text: "a threshold may be applied and some data may be withheld from the report.  For example, if there are fewer than N instances of Gender=male in a report, then data for the male dimension may be withheld. 

Since the number of N instances isn't disclosed, we can't really estimate what amount of traffic from a particular demographic needs to be reached in order to get reporting, is that correct?  If so,  are there any tips you could give on when age/gender information will reliably show up?  

Anything to give us a firmer grasp so that we know when we'll be able to use that information (which could be very, very useful) would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gender/Age Reporting

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
The age and gender are derived from several sources such as search history, web pages visited, and I believe cookies that are on your computer. At best it is Googles attempt to guess at your age and gender based upon these sources. If you are actual 60 years old and do a lot of surfing to find dresses for your 6 year old grand daughter Google may think you are a 20 - 30 year old female. If you are a 20 year old female and you are into sports Google may classify yu as a 20 year old male. So it is a best guess. The thresholds are applied in order to protect personal identifiable information or PII. If I remember correctly the N instances is 10% or so. This report gives you a general idea of your auidence but it is not the most reliable information if you are going to base any major decsions on this data you may be better off to do markey demographic research.