Analytics
6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GEO location in Real Time vs IP location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have been searching a while now to find an answer but did not succeed. I feel a bit of a fool asking this question because there must be a simple explanation but I can't find the right answer....

When I look into Google Analytics Real Time and I open the clients website, I see my GEO visit tracked as coming form Vienna / Austria.

I am based in the Netherlands, Eindhoven. And when I check my IP for GEO location, all tools recognize the IP as based in Eindhoven, Netherlands.

Why does Google Analytics track me differently? I checked this with several browsers, cleared all cookies, disabled all Chrome extensions so that should not have any influence.

Who can put me in the right direction? 

Thank you in advance for helping out!

Linda

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GEO location in Real Time vs IP location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Linda :-)
For the most part, the geo reporting in GA is fairly accurate.
Having said that. it depends on where your ISP routes your connection and also the 3rd parties data centers that Google uses
to return the reported data

There is a useful article here regarding location reports
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/03/19/locations-report-google-analytics/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: GEO location in Real Time vs IP location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

Thank you for your quick reply! I read that article before but it was still not clear to me.
From my home computer it was OK so yes, probably something to do with ISP routes apart from the IP adress. Happy to hear that I am in the right direction. Thank you so much for helping out and sharing!

Linda