Analytics
775 members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA shows URL's instead of Keywords in Organic Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New to GA and learning a lot.  I just pulled a month's worth of traffic data.

I have specific URL's (including ours) showing up in organic search traffic, and URLs that are part of our website showing up in referral traffic.

I've looked in the forums and many areas here to find anything similar but haven't seen it.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA shows URL's instead of Keywords in Organic Search

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maureen,

What report/data are you looking at?

I suspect you are in Reporting under Acquisition > Channels > Default Channel Grouping: Organic Search. If so, is there any chance the Primary Dimension is Landing Page instead of Keyword? That would explain with your are seeing your own URLs.

Changing your Primary Dimension should give you the data you're looking for.

And if I'm wrong about which report you're looking at just let me know and I should be able to help.

Cheers,

JD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the response. I am looking at two reports.
1. Organic traffic/ keywords. This shows www.mortgagenetwork.com as a keyword
2. Referral Traffic/ source - mortgagenetwork.com shows up there as well.

Trying to figure out why they would show up there and not in Direct instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anyone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Referral: There's likely a tracking issue. You can add your domain to the referral exclusion list. If that doesn't work, check for any instances where you don't have tracking on your site.

Organic: Depending on the volume, it's very possible that this is because users are searching for your domain. You can add this as an exclusion for organic searches as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much. I never thought of it that way. I'll look up how to do those things and have the developer check for instances where we don't have tracking. I wouldn't be able to do that part.