Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA showing unusually high number of pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Google Analytics the number of pageviews we have for the website seem to have quadrupled since we moved to a new website.  We have contacted developers and they are not forthcoming in helping.  It seems to me as though the page is loading multiple times and therefore registering with GA that there are xx number of instances of a page load.

The figures have gone sky high since the change on 7th November - see screen shot. This is for site www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk.

If we look at Unique Page Views the figures are more realistic as to what we would expect to see.

Are you able to shed any light, or as originally suspected, do you think this is a matter for our developers?  

Thanks, Kate

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA showing unusually high number of pageviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kate,

You have tracking code for two different properties on the site, UA-4919548-1 and UA-64951492-1. Which one is the one you have problems with? Tag Assistant reports a problem with UA-64951492-1. Are the pageviews mostly home page views? It can be referral spam. These are zero second duration direct visits with 100% bounce rate. Please check if that's the case.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Thank you for your reply.
UA-4919548-1 is the one I have problems with.
UA-64951492-1 was set up for the dev site testing, which I guess I can delete now.
Regarding the page views, no, they are not mostly homepage views. They are across the board - roughly quadrupled
Thanks, Kate

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kate,

There are 3 pageviews sent to UA-4919548-1 on each page load. You have the Universal Analytics tracking code for the property installed on the website and it is also tracked through Google Tag Manager. You need to remove the tracking code from the site and leave only the Google Tag Manager code. Then we can check again if there are any issues left. Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Thank you for your reply about, and sorry for the delay we have only just been able to get our devs to remove one of the tracking codes.
Please can you reconfirm that we need to remove all UA codes and just leave only the GTM?
Does all of the GTM data fire through the Google Analytics?
Thanks so much for your help, just a little nervous about removing both UA codes and leaving GTM
Thanks, Kate

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Kate,

Something is not right with your tag in GTM, Google Tag Assistant says the tag in it is not firing. You are still double tracking the property. Normally if you have GTM installed you just need to add the analytics tag to it and remove the tracking code from the site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank Arnold, please can you help or advise how I can rectify the tag not firing?
We are collecting a lot of 'Events' in GA, which have been set up in GTM - these match the reports we get from the website, so I know that these are working correctly.
How did you find out that Google Tag Assistant says the tag in it is not firing?
I really appreciate all of your help.
Thanks, Kate

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Sorry, it says that the extra analytics tag that needs to be removed is not fired through GTM. Let me know when it's removed and I'll check if everything is ok.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I need to remove the original GA code and leave the GTM code in place? Our devs won't do another upgrade until the end of March so we will have to test once it has been removed then.
Thank you, Kate