Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA reports not aligning with media information

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi there!

I am noticing issues with two of my google analytics accounts where the data shown in the dashboards are not lining up with media reports. I have verified all the tags are in place and tracking correctly, and I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing high bounce rates and low sessions. Has there been a change in the algorithm used in GA, or is there anything I can do on my end to troubleshoot further. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

GA has not changed - or rather, I've not observed anything in my accounts. What reports are you comparing GA data to?

A sudden increase in bounce rate could suggest that your site is being targeted by spam - check for sudden spikes of visits, particularly from source/mediums which do not have the hostname of your website. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We noticed a jump in aggregation times — does the data show up for you after about 12 hours?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for the reply! I am actually seeing a significant decrease in session duration, from an average of +35 seconds for example to less than 10 seconds. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for the reply, i am comparing to the same site performance from Q4 of 2016. We are seeing significant decrease in session duration and increase in traffic. Our media team has confirmed that nothing has changed with targeting, but I think spam could be a reason why this is happening. 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

ok - try filtering your data on hostname; all the hostnames sending you data - which you do not recognise - may be spam. They are usually characterised by 100% new visitors, 100% bounce rate and 0 session duration. You can look in the acquisition reports and use hostname as a secondary dimension - particularly on referring sources, but spam can also appear as direct or even, in some cases, organic.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.