Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA in Spreadsheet Dashboard - Data is different from GA

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

I want to see how much of my organic traffic are new or returning visitors. I'd also like to see it / month. So i check the data in GA and i find for December:

Organic - New visitor - 5000 sessions in December

Organic - Returning visitor - 4000 sessions in December

I like to throw these stats in a Spreadsheet dashboard so that people with 0 experience in GA can also see the data easily. 

So i want to get the data from each month in 2016. I tried it in 2 ways:

I set my start & ending date from 1/1/2016 to 31/12/2016 and i use the dimension ga:month and i filter ga:month==12 to see the data in december)

-> This date is different from Google Analytics, while it's the same data that i get from GA (yes i selected the correct view). And it's not by a little margin it's between 500 - 1000 sessions:

Organic - New visitor - 4000 sessions in December

Organic - Returning visitor - 3500 sessions in December

I set my data from 1/12/2016 to 31/12/2016 and i leave out the ga:month. Here i get the same information as I find in Google Analytics for December.

Organic - New visitor - 5000 sessions in December

Organic - Returning visitor - 4000 sessions in December

Honestly I find it really weird that using "Month" changes my data. I've used it in other dashboards with success so I really have no clue what might be wrong. F.ex. when (in the same spreadsheet) i check the montly SEO sessions it works perfectly and the data corresponds with the data in Google Analytics.

Edit: I think it's because of "Contains Sampled Data: Yes" How do i make sure that the data isn't sampled? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Quick answer regarding sampling - if you're not using a Premium account then use API queries (for example with the GA add on) which divide your data up into smaller date ranges where sampling is not longer an issue. You can create a series of queries where the dimensions and metrics are the same but the start and end dates are, for example, only a few days apart. Copy/paste, and the =today(), and/or adding numbers to a date function in google sheets can make this a little easier to create. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey John

Thanks a lot for your answer but could you please elaborate a little bit? I am using the GA Add on for Google Spreadsheets and i'm using the API queries (atleast i think that's them) 

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets

I could indeed make multiple "reports" and copy paste them with the data like in my example #1 but this isn't really efficient in my eyes. Because we might reach the "row limit in spreadsheet". 

I've used this before and it worked great but now, for some reason, it doesnt seem to show the data like it's shown in Google Analytics. 

My report on Montly SEO traffic works fine, but when i add in the dimension "usertype" it states that it contains sampled data and the numbers aren't the same as in Google Analytics itselfs.