Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA displaying transactions on landing pages that don't contain booking engine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Can someone explain why GA is showing that we have taken transactions on pages that don't have a booking engine? I was under the impression that when I pulled a report and introduced a secondary dimension of a landing page, that the transactions column is displaying sessions that converted on the landing page. Is it more correct to say that the transaction column is displaying transactions that users who landed on the page went on to make elsewhere on the site. 

The report I was looking at was Acquisition>All traffic>Source/Medium>Organic, with a secondary dimension of 'landing page'

thanks

Charlie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA displaying transactions on landing pages that don't contain booking engine

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Source and Landing Page are session-level dimensions. Transactions viewed at that level are aggregates. The transaction happens down a level from there, and are usually not associated with a specific page, although the 'hit' happens from a page (the pageview 'hit' is separate). At least, that's my understanding of it. Note that the product detail is actually a level below the transaction as well.

You can usually use lower level metrics aggregated at higher level dimensions.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.