Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA Showing page views for redirected pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We recently moved some pages on our website, giving them new URLs w/ 301 redirects. However, GA is still reporting a small number of views to the old URLs, even though they aren't technically accessible. The view has a domain filter, so I don't think it's a caching issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Ben P,

Do you know where the traffic is coming from for those few pages? I would check the source/medium and check to make sure those pages are not some how indexed by a search provider (i.e. Google, Bing). In addition check whether people are landing directly on these pages or if they are finding them on site. 

Best,

Jordan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, Jordan. The traffic is coming in from both organic search and referrals. However, when I track down the specific location of the link, clicking it takes me - like most of the other inbound sessions - through the server-side redirect to the new version of the page. In theory, the 301 redirect should make the old page inaccessible and unable to fire the GA page view, right?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Which dimension are you using to view these pages? Try looking at the 'page' dimension for these old URL's and then drop in the 'landing page' and see if it shows the updated path. If this is the case you may just need to give it more time for the old values to diminish. If it's a small percent of traffic and you are certain that the 301's are set up correctly it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same issue. Only 20 page views or so for the quarter but more curious how it's even possible. 301 redirect should be happening before page ever loads and sends hit to GA....

Checked landing page and it's consistent with the old url. Source is direct for most hits and google for a few.