Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA Segment: Organic Traffic - included other sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear board,

we have a problem: When we use the pre-made google analytics segment: Organic traffic (or create a segment with medium matches organic), we get some a small amount of paid traffic into this segment. We see this because some pages are on no-index. By definition they can't be organic traffic from google.  

This can happen because of longer sessions (more than 30 mins).

Question: How can I create a clean organic traffic segment, which contains only indexed landing pages?

Greetings

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Couple of things:

Are you using the default tagging in adwords - if this is not used, or breaks (for example because of redirects) then cpc traffic can be allocated to the organic channel.

Is it possible for a visitor to find the non indexed landing pages? If so, then a visitor from organic could - as you say - find these pages, end there session on them and then subsequently restart the session with the landing page as the non indexed page. Check to see if these are all from returning visitors, or from new visitors - may give some clues.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you using the default tagging in adwords - if this is not used, or breaks (for example because of redirects) then cpc traffic can be allocated to the organic channel.

- I will check with our CPC team for adwords settings.

- We had in the beginning a lot of redirect issues and lost parameters. We fixed 90% of it, but we have still 10% traffic noindexed traffic, which is strange. 

I hoped that we can fix this solely with GA setup options. But it might be a data problem.

About the timeout/session issue: I also thought about this and the hint to check for new vs. returning visitors is a good one. Do you have any ideas how to filter this element out?

Since I do not want to filter out all real returning SEO visitors. 

Thanks for the reply