Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA Segment Help - How do I ensure only the pages from my include filter are in the final reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'm trying to create segments in GA to include landing pages from different directories/URL paths. I'm finding it difficult to filter out pages that I don't want to see in the report. What should I do so that there are only pages from my include filters in the final report?

For example, when there's a single definite URL path like /example/, I can add it to the include condititons like this https://www.screencast.com/t/KxoWVYgoM5vq. But at the same time, when there are more than 15 such URL paths, I'm adding them using the simple pipe regex like this https://www.screencast.com/t/7CKfj4pfg9s

I thought it's going to only pull the landing page matches from the regex but it pulls everything else as well. So, I created an exclude filter with all those pages that I don't want to be a part of the report. It worked but not completely as I continue to see some new pages every week and I end up updating the exclude filter so often.

Q. Is there a way to have a simple regex filter or any other way to include only the pages I want to from my include filter instead of chasing the exclude pages every week? 

Thanks so smuch for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

GA Segment Help - How do I ensure only the pages from my include filter are in the final reports?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

use exact match regex and use the following structure:

/t/7CKfj4pfg9s|/example/hats|/exmample/shirts/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam,

But there's nothing like 'exact match' regex in segment builder. And I doubt that's the solution to my question. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Quick answer - if you just want to view specific pages then use a filter and custom report, rather than a segment. A segment will show all the activity for sessions which match your segment. A filtered custom report will only show data for the specific pages your rule matches.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.