Analytics
6.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA Reporting - Overview/Browser session differences

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The Session metric varies slightly between Audience>Overview and what is shown in Audience>Technology>Browser & OS.(Note:100% use of sessions).

Any idea why that might be?

Additionally, adding another segment i.e. "Sessions with Transactions" where all Transactions are zero increases the Session metrics?!

Thank in advance.

Z

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA Reporting - Overview/Browser session differences

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Zeshan,

should be same number unless it's very new data (less than 1-2 days).

Numbers with segments may be influenced by data sampling [1] - do you see the yellow sampling warning in the upper right of report pages in case you use the segment?

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498?hl=en

Re: GA Reporting - Overview/Browser session differences

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

There is zero sampling (100% session), the data is from 2014, these figures tend to be short between 1-4 which is not huge but the question will be asked as to why.

A second issue found today for March 2014 where the figures are off by some 6000 when I run for the complete month(zero sampling indicated on top right)..I noticed is that if I run the report for the first half of the month and then the second half of the month then the figures match up with what I was expecting?!