Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA/Optimizely integration / Custom variables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

Could you please advise me how to make some corrections for Google Analytics data in regards to the integration with Optimizely?

The Optimizely tool sends its experiments data to Analytics as “custom variables”. It has been gathered and saved for GA as different custom slots.

Does anybody know how to refresh custom variables slots that I have in GA?

The problem is I have only 5 slots - that's OK - but how can I remove the data of the previous experiments from those slots in GA? The issue is that for example slot 1 still has the data got from the experiment which is not actually existed already. But the slot still shows me that data in GA if I pull that report. The main problem is that after I will use all the 5 slots - I will have no possibility to add data from more experiments if I need. So I need to refresh those variables constantly.

How can I fix that and to remove the data I don't need?

Appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Peter

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter O
November 2015

Re: GA/Optimizely integration / Custom variables

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Peter, how are things?

As stated on the page below, a very important information:
"Custom dimensions cannot be deleted, but you can disable them. You should avoid trying to reuse custom dimensions. When you edit the name, scope, and value of a custom dimension, both the old and the new values can be paired with the either the old or the new dimension name. This conflates data in your reports in a way that cannot be accurately separated with a filter."
Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

Regarding reusing the custom dimension, you need to check how Optimizely is passing those information. On the same page above you can check some infos that might help you with, but I strongly recommend you to get in touch with their support for further help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter O
November 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Peter, how are things?

As stated on the page below, a very important information:
"Custom dimensions cannot be deleted, but you can disable them. You should avoid trying to reuse custom dimensions. When you edit the name, scope, and value of a custom dimension, both the old and the new values can be paired with the either the old or the new dimension name. This conflates data in your reports in a way that cannot be accurately separated with a filter."
Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

Regarding reusing the custom dimension, you need to check how Optimizely is passing those information. On the same page above you can check some infos that might help you with, but I strongly recommend you to get in touch with their support for further help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Leandro, appreciate your fast answer. Trying to reach the support now, but I'm not sure it worths if I can't delete custom dimensions. Which is strange basically, just five slots I have in GA.