Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

GA Acquisition Overview Inaccurate - Mostly Social

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone!
I am working on the site http://snottynoses.com.au/, which is built on bigcommerce, and includes GA tracking.

When i view Acquisition > Overview in Google Analytics, i can see that 40% traffic is social. I feel this is completely incorrect as we have a very basic social media presence, but an extensive SEO campaign.

How can i be sure that these stats are correct? Is there anything else i can do to configure the site/GA to track traffic accurately?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice/answers anyone can offer!

1 Expert replyverified_user

GA Acquisition Overview Inaccurate - Mostly Social

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

First - attribution is pretty solid in GA; it either reports the attribution or - in some cases - dumps it into the direct bucket. Adwords can get pushed into organic, but that's pretty specific. Without action on your part, it's unlikely that campaign information would be overwritten to something different.

I would recommend testing the following:

- dig into your social traffic. What is it composed of? What sites are sending traffic? What are the overall trends - is this a new trend? Is there a specific referring site which is being labelled as social? If you see a sudden increase in social, is there a similar decrease in another source/medium?

- does this traffic look like real traffic and not spam? Is it characterised by a 100% bounce rate, and no other activity on the site?

- Visit your site, from a known source/medium. You can, for example, create test links with UTM parameters. Check the real time reports, as well as (after a while) the standard reports to see that attribution is maintained.

- Check your views for any filters which may be reassigning source/medium based on an incorrect rule.

- Pay some attention to the default rule for the channel 'social'. It is described here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en Check to see if the visitor journey can include a platform which matches this.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.